James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
Proverbs 25:25
Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Food, Inc

Official Food, Inc. Movie Site - Hungry For Change? - About the Issues

Last night while I was in bed nursing an upper respiratory infection, I decided to watch Food, Inc. It had peaked my interest on netflix several weeks ago and I decided to finally watch it. As Brian was walking out the door, he looked at the TV and said "I don't think you are going to want to watch that." Well since I am obstinately stubborn, I chose to ignore. Yikes!!!! I had heard some of the stuff before and had taken notice to the jumbo size chicken breasts in the store, but this movie was still very eye opening. I did not like the mass production of animals or the way they were kept up, but am not hung up on this aspect. What really made me sick and concerned was how much genetic engineering goes into all of our food. I definitely recommend all to watch. Am I going to turn vegetarian? No, although I would take a bowl of brussel sprouts to a steak any day. Am I ever going to eat fast food again? Yes, but I may not enjoy it quite as much. Changes I would like to make are going more organic, eating less processed and fast foods, switching to free range meat from local farms and finally getting around to putting a vegetable garden and a much desired orange tree in our backyard. I have begun growing tomatoes and green beans in an earth box that was given to me, and have potted zucchini, squash, spinach, lettuce, & sweet peppers. I DO NOT have a green thumb and this will definitely be a learning process for me, but I am going to try. Over the past several years, starting with my husband, we have been making an effort to improve our overall health, and I am ready to take it up a notch. We have been introduced to and somewhat consumed (in a good way :) and mostly Brian) with triathlons. I am so inspired every time I watch Brian's races, but have decided after this next race I will just train and not race, and cheer on my inspiring, amazing hubby while he keeps bringing home the awards. Man I can get so sidetracked here...... Back on topic.... We have been eating out much less. Although this was mainly to save money, there are serious health benefits to cooking your own food if you don't add all the garbage to it like the restaurants do. Last night I located a few farms not too far from here that I'd like to visit. One of the organic vegetable farms sells their produce at the local Saturday morning market which I would like to start regularly visiting. There is even an Ethiopian food booth where we can eat lunch and a coffee booth that sells at least 3 different kinds of Ethiopian coffee. I am excited about trying a few new things to improve our health. Who knows, maybe if all this goes well I will join a few of my friends by having our own chicken coop in our backyard...... Don't worry Brian, I'm not there yet..... :) Alright, well, I am noticing my house is a bit of a disaster and it's already 1:30.... oops...... I guess I better get to work. I sure wish there was a movie to motivate me to clean. Let me know if you find one :)


No comments:

Post a Comment