James 1:27
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
Proverbs 25:25
Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land.
Saturday, June 5, 2010
1st homestudy
We survived! We had our 1st homestudy today and it went really well. Our social worker was really nice. We were asked about our motivation to adopt, how we came to choose Rwanda, why international, discussed risks with adoption and how we would handle them, developmental delays, attachment disorders, what our expectations are, how much our children understand about the process and what their thoughts are, etc. The one question that surprised me the most was what our thoughts are on our son's birth parents and if we'd be willing to let him track them down one day. While both Brian and I would be happy for our son to one day explore where he came from and search for his birth parents, I feel sad that he most likely will have no success. It is illegal in Rwanda to place your child up for adoption, so there will most likely be no information on them. I too would have liked to meet the mom and give her a hug. What a huge gift she is giving to us and I could only imagine how hard that would have been to walk away from her child. It is also likely that she may not be living. The other thing that I found interesting about that question was that I had previously given thought to our son's birth mother, but had never given any thought to his father. hmmm. I wonder if this is a mom to mom thing. I would definitely welcome any information on his birth father, but am much more focused on his birth mom. oh well. All in all the process took about 2 hrs and ended with a tour of the house. As ridiculous as this sounds, I was more nervous about the cleanliness of the house than I was about the interrogations. I've got to admit, I was a little bummed when she didn't look in the pantry or laundry room that I scrubbed from top to bottom. Oh well, I am glad to have a clean house, at least for the time being.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment